Saturday, July 23, 2011

Guest Blogger: Author Joely Sue Burkhart from Team 2

Lies My Scale Told Me
 
"Aw, you worked so hard this week.  You even exercised!  Yet you're up .x pounds.  It's sad to be sooooo good and not be rewarded.  Maybe you should have some chocolate."
 
One of the most important self-talk reels I've had to turn off in my head is the "I've been good - I deserve a loss."  Because, quite honestly, sometimes the scale is a fickle b*tch.  She holds on to weight like you wouldn't believe.  She might even pack on some extra weight for good measure, just trying to shake my confidence.  If I think I deserve a loss -- and I don't get it -- then the first thing I think:  UNFAIR!
 
So unfair.  I remember the birthday cake I skipped.  The bag of chips in the cupboard that I hid so I wouldn't be tempted.  The drops of sweat I shed in my workout.  The sore muscles.  All the motivation I felt throughout the week suddenly feels more like deprivation.  Which leads to a dangerous mentality.
 
I gained even though I was good.  Might as well be a little bad!
 
Wrong!!
 
Don't listen to those lies.  If you're working your plan and moving your body, the weight WILL come off.  The scale can't lie every week.  Hang tough and stick to what you know will work.  Eventually, the scale will be forced to show the truth of your success!
 
~ * ~
 
Joely always has her nose buried in a  book, especially one with mythology, fairy tales, and romance. Find her on her website, Twitter, and Facebook, along with several free reads.  Her latest release is Return to Shanhasson, the final book in an erotic romantic fantasy trilogy.  Also watch for her smoldering hot BDSM novella, Golden, releasing from Carina Press on August 29th!

3 comments:

  1. This was me last week. I was up a lb lol Darn scale!!! You should remember to weigh yourself the same time. I was scrambling last minute so that might've been partof the problem. We'll see this week though.

    Lisa B
    team 9 The Naughty Nine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there, that's for sure. I make a graph of my weight and after awhile I can see the downward trend and how far I've come.

    Team 10 Team Tenacious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I right smack in the middle of that now Joely. My scale isn't lying, but its bipolar. Everyday my weight is dramatically different (one or two pounds higher or lower). And everytime its on the high side I feel that voice going, why am I bothering? but when it swings low again I remember. But like you said, I'll just keep persevering and eventually it will get past its temper tantrum.

    Go Team Two!!

    ReplyDelete