I just want to start off by thanking Ashley for giving me the chance to be a guest! I was slightly hesitant and a bit nervous lol I write on my own blog often but on there people know what to expect from me.
My decision to join “Romance’s Biggest Winner” was very much a quick one. My friend Kym and I were chatting via FB and she had mentioned the competition and asked if I would like to join it with her and we could push each other. I didn’t hesitate in that! I said absolutely, she gave me the email and I signed up immediately.
The day before we started the competition I ate like a maniac. I was very scared that I would crash and burn. I have tried many times to lose weight. Fad diets back and forth and counting points, nothing worked for me and when it did... I lost 30lbs. then BOOM I’d put it back on and more.
I decided this time to go a different root and it’s working! I took all I learned over the years from the different sources and I put together a way of eating that I figured I would be able to maintain without giving up.
I’m not a stubborn person and I think in order to persevere in many things you have to have a streak of stubbornness and a big drive to succeed. I have the Drive but my stubbornness was well on the back burner.
This is how I’ve managed to consistently lose weight and keep it off so far and my plan to continue to lose and keep it off for life.
- I read labels- I pick food that is lower in Fat, Calories, sodium and cholesterol and high in fiber.
- Portion Control- I have a palm sized piece of meat (fat cut off) 1 small (potato, rice,pasta) Carb and as many veggies as I can eat. I literally fill up my plate with veggies. Broccoli, Turnip, snow peas, yellow beans, cauliflower ….
- Water- I am to drink at least 8 cups a day but usually manage more.
- Choices!- This is the big one for me. If I want to eat something bad enough then I eat it! In moderation! There’s time where we just crave to eat something that’s awful for us lol when that happens I eat it but not everyday, once a week or 2.
- Exercise- I hate that word! lol But, I don’t dread it as much as I use to. I try to get in some excerise everyday. I don’t count the time I take to do it, I just do it. I go for a walk around the park, it’s a huge windeing circle. I walk it twice when I can and I use to have to take a break halfway around the first circle, then a break after the next half and I would do that over and over lol. Now I manage to walk the full circle only stopping at the end and then do the circle again without stopping until it’s done. Today, I managed it 3 times! YAY! When I manage it or need it I lift 5 lbs. weights with my arms and 2 lbs. weights with my legs. When it’s raining or the weather is not right I lift the weights. I do punching in spot and wear my little ankle weights around the house while doing housework. I stop and run in place. I do it over and over. I sometimes chasse the kids pretending I’m going to kick them lol They laugh like crazy and I get a huge workout.
- Make up for what you eat- If you do like above and eat something bad for you then work it off, push yourself a little harder the next time you exercise. Push yourself, think about what you ate and that you need to work it off.
- Make healthy choices- I know this one seems like it should go unsaid but to me it’s important. When I go with my family to the corner store for treats after being out all day my family wants chips, chocolate, ice cream or candies. This is very hard to stay away from. Just because I’m on a healthy eating plan doesn’t mean my family is not allowed a treat once and awhile. Here’s what I do: Chips- instead I eat popcorn or nuts. Cola- I will drink a chocolate milk (I’ll get calcium) Chocolate- I will buy a 100 Calorie chocolate bar and if they don’t have any then I buy myself a bad of “Thinsations Cookies” or even a box because they are good to have around.
This is how I am doing it. I started at 265 lbs. and am now 238lbs. I found my groove and I plan to stick to it for life. It’s not easy but it’s not as painful as I imagined it would be. I take things one day at a time, if I eat something I truly want then I make up for it. It’s all a balancing act. I hope that my plan may help others. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Good luck to everyone and remember it’s not just to lose weight, it’s to be healthy.
Date: Aug. 31, 2011