Sunday, September 11, 2011

Guest Blogger: Heather S. of Team 3 Victory Gals

Hormones and Weight Loss: Who Knew?

I have been trying to lose weight for years, all with no success. I did weight watchers religiously for six months and didn't lose a single pound. I have counted calories, watched my food intake, cut all sugars, and all wheat products. All to no avail.

So when Melanie S (my sil) told me about how she was going to do the reboot diet I went okay good luck with that, then I saw her results and went okay I am going to do this also. So I started and on day 1 nothing, day 2 nothing, day 3 the same. On day 4 I went to my previously scheduled appt with a new doctor.

As soon as he walked in the door he asked me why I was talking the hormone doses of a sixty year old woman and not that of a 30 year old woman. I went huh? What do you mean? I've been on this dosage ever since my hysterectomy when I was 27 almost ten years now.
I think he wanted to go find all of my previous doctors and wring their necks. He told me that I need triple the amount of hormones that I am getting. I sat there stunned.

It was then that he told me that it doesn't matter how much I exercise and count my calories if I don't have the proper hormone levels for someone my age I won't lose a single pound. This had never occurred to me. All the years of dieting, working out with no results were all because my hormone levels were wrong.

 In the three days since my appt when he had me start taking a higher dosage of my hormones, I can't believe how much better I feel and how the weight is coming off of me. He is checking my thyroid levels as well and is almost positive that he will be doubling my dosage of that as well.

The morale of this post, if you are taking any hormone replacement pills or thyroid pills and not seeing any weight loss happen no matter what you do, go straight to the doctor and ask him if your levels are where they are suppose to be FOR YOUR AGE, not what is a generic normal range, but what they are suppose to be for someone your age and activity level.

For the first time since we started this challenge I'm excited about it instead of discouraged. In fact I am actively planning my new wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so happy for you! I know just how you feel with the hormone problems. I'm hypo as well and have PCOS. It took a long time to get my hormones to where they should be. It's a blessing to be able to lose weight again. Congrats on finding the right Dr.!

    Leanne Team 1

    ReplyDelete